Browse Collections (27 total)

Glass Slides

d_0005813_slide_10_moulton_barrett_house_falmouth.jpg

A collection of lantern slides in the National Library of Jamaica archives.

Daily News Photographs

d_0005744_fae_ellington_courtney_robb.jpg

This collection consists of photographs that appeared in the historic Jamaican newspaper - the Daily News. Where possible, the descriptions added were…

Dr. Anthony Robinson's Drawings - Birds

d_0004443_querquedula_discors.jpg

Drawings of Jamaican birds done by surgeon and botanist, Dr. Anthony Robinson.

Valdez Collection

d_0000112_black_river_st_elizabeth.jpg

The Valdez Collection features photographs taken in the very early 20th century in Jamaica by J.B. Valdez. This is just a sample of the photographs in…

Clarendon, Jamaica

d_0004190_workers_threshing_grain.jpg

The Parish of Clarendon is Jamaica’s third largest
parish in size behind St. Catherine and St. Ann, with
the parish and is located on the southern…

St. Andrew, Jamaica

d_0004399_plumb_point_lighthouse.JPG

St. Andrew was one of the first parishes to be established by Law in 1867 having been known prior to that time as Liguanea. “Liguanea” is one of…

Hanover, Jamaica

d_0004285_port_of_lucea.jpg

The parish of Hanover was formed out of St. Elizabeth and Westmoreland on November 12, 1793. It was named for the reigning monarch on the British…

Kingston, Jamaica

d_0004463_red_hills_wesleyan_church_kingston.jpg

The original section of the city of Kingston was laid out to house survivors of the 1692 earthquake that destroyed Port Royal. At that time, since…

Manchester, Jamaica

d_0002712_jamaica_railways_porus.jpg

Manchester, the last parish created in Jamaica, was formed in 1814 out of parts of the surrounding parishes of St. Elizabeth, Clarendon and Vere and…

Portland, Jamaica

d_0004439_frenchmans_cove_north_coast.jpg

Portland is located at the north-eastern tip of the island. It is to the north of St. Thomas and to the east of St. Mary.
The parish was named after…