Anglican Churches behind the Botanical Gardens, Bath, St. Thomas

d_0009202_anglican_church_botanical_gardens_bath.jpg

Title

Anglican Churches behind the Botanical Gardens, Bath, St. Thomas

Description

The Anglican Church at Bath, reputed to be the first place of worship in the Incorporated City. There are no records of its early history. During the 1865 Morant Bay Rebellion when one of its rectors was slain the documents were reportedly placed in a bottle and buried in a vault behind the church. Built by the English, only those in the upper class were allowed to worship there."

Subject

Anglican church buildings - Jamaica; Historic buildings - Jamaica; Bath (St. Thomas, Jamaica)

Creator

D. Jones

Date

Oct-1965

Source

NLJ Photograph Collection IN: Churches - Anglican - St. Thomas

Identifier

D0009202

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be obtained from the National Library of Jamaica.

Format

JPEG

Type

Photograph

Social Bookmarking

Citation

D. Jones, “Anglican Churches behind the Botanical Gardens, Bath, St. Thomas,” National Library of Jamaica Digital Collection , accessed August 13, 2022, https://nljdigital.nlj.gov.jm/items/show/8297.