St. James Parish Church

d_0004183_st_james_parish_church.jpg

Title

St. James Parish Church

Description

Built between 1775 and 1782, the church was dedicated to St. James, the Great-Patron Saint of Spain. The 1957 earthquake caused extensive damage to this structure, which brought the need for a complete restoration of the building. One of the numerous memorials within the Church is that for Mrs. Rose Palmer, the original owner of Rose Hall Great House, commonly mistaken for Annee Palmer, the White Witch of Rose Hall.

Subject

St. James Parish Church; St. James Church (Montego Bay, St. James); Church Buildings - St. James - Montego Bay; Churches - Jamaica; Cities and Towns - Jamaica

Source

NLJ Postcard Collection

Identifier

D0004183

Rights

Permission to reproduce this image must be obtained from the National Library of Jamaica.

Format

JPEG

Type

Postcard

Social Bookmarking

Citation

“St. James Parish Church,” National Library of Jamaica Digital Collection , accessed March 3, 2024, https://nljdigital.nlj.gov.jm/items/show/2572.